Monday 19 October 2009

"PREP" STAR

As we grow, we evolve..., we face challenges, and hopefully we pass on those skills that we too have learned. Life it seems is always about this balance. Ying and yang; life and death; beginning and end, teacher and student. A never-ending circle that ensures that the lessons learnt are taught and the mistakes of the past are not re-lived. So whilst most people were beginning to plan their Christmas parties, (and it does seem to start earlier each year doesn't it) or become weighed down with the plans that the natural renewal processes of this autumn season brings out in us; I found myself looking back at "my year in review" and thinking ahead to the projects of next year. (Like working with Tiger Lilly, you know I love you girl.)

It was at this time that an old friend (and protege' if you will) asked me to do a test shoot with him. I remember the gangly lad that I met years earlier. I remember the promising poetry that he recited and over time had seen him grow into the rather colourful, preppie young man that he is today and said, "sure how can I help." This is how the PREP STAR shoot came about. Hot on the heels of and in complete contrast to the HENCH HOMME shoot (which we're still editing) and amidst the singular work that went into photographing the wonderful accessories of BEADS BROTHERS;
the PREP STAR shoot was if you'll pardon the pun, old school.

No make-up artists or stylists. No assistants or behind the scene videography. Just me, a camera and an eager model. Blessed with the same location for an extra night and with lights etc still in place Ashley came down and professionally went through the paces even though he had to rush over straight from work and all I had to spare were a couple of hours from 8pm till midnight at the location. The results are what you see here and in the links above. A great model, a great shoot and a great time was had by all.

If nothing else, I hope I will be remembered as fondly as I remember the woman I credit as giving me my start. That formidable designer that gave freely of her designs for a school fashion show, to the young gangly lad that I was then. Here she is in a clip from "the Basia Show" talking about her incredible line that was inspired by and in tribute to
1st Lady Michelle Obama...,
the force that IS.... CLAUDIA PEGUS.
She was my first entry into fashion (working in her boutique); my first major shoot (on location in Mustique); and one of my first major assignment as her stylist/photographer for Caribbean Fashion Week 2001. In so many ways she was the mentor that prepped me for this industry. I hope I've done her proud and passed on the torch in prepping this young model.
World, meet Ashley Kha'n.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog for